Ever since I declared my relationship and impending engagement to friends and relatives, many asked me “TamBrahm? How come?” Not that they were not satisfied with my reasons as I furnished them one after the other, the thought of writing a blog or an article someday on this, kept on bugging me from there on.
As a writer, I often feel the urge to pen down my experiences and share it with the world. This piece of writing is simply that, my own PERSONAL experience. It is not in anyway, any judgment or opinion on any community. I hope to just list out certain fun filled factors that can be the food for thought for some. Please read this with a pinch of salt, sugar, jaggery and lots of love..
1. She is beautiful; he is an admirer of beauty. She has an aesthetic taste in accessories; he is the one with an ethnic taste himself, with the knowledge of all. The bong girl will be perfectly admired for her beauty by the TamBrahm guy. She does not need to make those extra efforts of telling him what“terracotta” means as he knows them already!!
2. She is hot, yes she is and fiery too. The effect of all that “shorsher tel” (mustard oil) and kancha lonka (green chilli). Her boisterous persona is perfectly matched by the TamBrahm guy. All the credit goes to his “tayir sadam” (curd rice). The cool and calming butter milk and curd rice for all these years has made a saint out of him and he (all the more in love) is ever so “ok” with everything that this Bengal tigress has to do or say.
3. She is relieved from making fish curry every now and then at the behest of her husband. That typical voice from the Bengali guy “bazaar kore enechi, aaj chingri maach khabo. Ranna koro”. (Have bought prawns from the market, wish to eat, please cook). She on the other hand is open to eat and cook at her wish. The TamBrahm guy is extremely broadminded and progressive in thoughts and believes (atleast mine is).
4. She loves music. Robindrosongeet is her favorite. Although, his roots are in carnatic music, he immerses himself in “majhe majhe tobo dekha pai” or “ami chini go chini tomare”…music has no language.
5. They match each other in looks perfectly. She is graceful; he is tall, mostly fair and handsome.
6. Films/Cinema is another hot hot commonality in them. The TamBrahm watches a “nayok”, “titli” or “meghe dhaaka taara” with equal joy and sensitivity and she herself.
7. Education and further education and further ka further education is assured if you are with a TamBrahm. Tamil Brahmins have taught us how to keep studying and studying and studying…(is there any other community where a house wife has triple MA?)
8. You know you are in safe hands as your wishes are granted and your choices are not questioned with him as your partner..
9. You have learned music, here’s a chance for you to learn classical dance form too!. The TamBrahm will encourage you to enhance your dancing skills. So, are you ready for Bharat Natyam or Kathak??
10. He is the one who will mostly make amends as he knows no ego (mostly). She is the one who would love to adapt with this TamBrahm gentleman.
P.S- This article in no way tries to extol or belittle any particular community. I firmly believe that one person cannot be a benchmark for an entire community, whatever it is.
Leaving you with one of my Nishchaythartam (engagement) pics..